Author Topic: Possible C172 repaint template for new livery  (Read 1536 times)

mage

• View Profile
Possible C172 repaint template for new livery
« on: July 12, 2024, 08:47:25 PM »
Hi Charly (and anyone else that takes a look) -

I have created a template for a C172 stock livery design and have attached it here for critiques. There is an image to show how it looks, and the two primary colour areas as separate layers (saved as PNG with transparency).

I've also attached the image here for others to peruse and critique.

Here's the actual aircraft.

https://media.abpic.co.uk/pictures/full_size_0565/1860339-large.jpg
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 08:49:50 PM by mage »

charlymorton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Possible C172 repaint template for new livery
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2024, 12:13:41 AM »
Thanks Mage,

Have added them to the OCR tool :D

mage

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2024, 08:10:59 AM »
What I might do is make a more common variation on this design

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10223796

and substitute this with the other variation. There are a few more of them, and it looks more interesting.

mage

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2024, 09:13:59 PM »
Template for Cessna factory design used on OO-CIR and many other 172s.

Forgot to screenshot OO-CIR.

Template is divided up for options, such as to suppress wingtip colours and the wheel pant design as well (these are in separate layers, since I assume that is how it works). There is also an option to make the cockpit surround take the primary colour or to be switched off and left white. These are all variations I've seen on the photo sites.

charlymorton

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2024, 12:31:13 PM »
Thanks for these. I will see if I can add them later today.

For the C172 the best approach for now is probably to split them up in parts like you've done. I hadn't added an option to remove wheel pants or wing tip liveries for the C172. I think it's only the 170 where I have included that option. At some point I will have to add options to remove these parts, so that you don't have to create separate layers for them.

mage

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2024, 08:02:28 AM »
Thanks Charly - I assumed it was all done by layering, I didn't realise that something more tricky was going on. If you need me to combine any layers, I could do that.

I've discovered that OO-CIR's wingtips are not typical. When looking for others to paint based on this design - there are many of them - more seem to have a partially coloured wingtip with a striped design on it.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled/Cessna-172N-Skyhawk-II/7563865/L

I'm not sure how those are done in OCR. Obviously the work involved in covering every little variation is excessive, and I think the version in the above image would be better. I may try painting a full 172 with that option and then make a replacement wingtip template from it, assuming I can make it work.

My overall plan is to make two more 172 patterns and then two or three Cessna 150/152s, since there are limited options for that type.

It would be good if there could be a community of painters volunteering some time, but I don't see that happening, unfortunately.

mage

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2024, 10:33:42 PM »
Template #3 from me, for the 172.

This one is moderately common. I repainted D-ETTS to create the template shapes, and then found that D-ETTD had identical colours and made that one as well. I may upload them sometime.

Note that the screenshot shows a preliminary version where the fuselage shapes were a little oversized. That is now corrected in the templates and both the liveries. The bottom stripe should just about reach the aft edge of the luggage compartment door, which it now does!

It should have the wheel spats model, but my livery tester uses a non-spats model, which I obviously ought to change.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 10:35:53 PM by mage »

mage

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2024, 10:26:26 PM »
Template #4 for the C172, derived from the Cessna livery used to create the Aeroclub de Guatemala Cessna fleet elsewhere on OCH.