Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
AI Traffic / Re: Tiger Moths
« Last post by mage on February 04, 2023, 09:18:29 PM »
Not yet, Stuart - It should be about 2 weeks before everything is finalized. There are some experiments with XML to be done. It will be FS9 only.
« Last post by Big777jet on February 04, 2023, 07:44:59 PM »
do we have model and texture for this photo above? 

FS2004 available?

Stuart

David's repaints / Re: French Private C177rg
« Last post by mage on February 03, 2023, 08:19:22 AM »
Which model is the Tiger Moth. John Youngs AI one?

Hi Ross, it's my own creation. I looked at JY's model as a candidate for making a load of repaints for UK Tiger Moths, just to get a biplane into my AI a little bit more. Unfortunately for this project, the ACG TM is very specifically mapped to suit the 2 aircraft at Duxford (in the lovely ACG scenery for that airfield) and I realized that I would need to make my own version if I wanted things like billboard registrations across the upper and lower wings (which is a defining feature of many UK Tiger Moths.

So it was a straight 1-for-1 "new version" until I started to formate on it in the sim and decided to add other details as well, such as aileron linkages, control cables and such.

The modelling is theoretically complete, but I'm intending to experiment with XML to make the front cockpit occupant hidden for some flights and not for others, and possibly even with an override so that Duxford-based Tigers always have a passenger (maybe some flag in the CFG entry if at all possible). If I get that to work I might retrofit the idea to my AI Vans RV-4 and RV-8/8A).

There's also a need to improve the FDE since the high drag I have the aircraft means that on short final, when FS9 chops the throttle, it pretty much stalls in from about 20 feet - not very elegant, so I may need to lower the thrust and the drag to get some float. I flew a TM years ago (G-ANTE) and standard practice was to bring it down under power every time

There's a possibility that I might make a Long-Ez after this, just to get another shape into the sim, but nothing much after that.
« Last post by charlymorton on February 02, 2023, 09:39:01 PM »

I'm pretty sure this is mage's own AI model
« Last post by maiden757 on February 02, 2023, 06:52:30 PM »
« Last post by mage on February 01, 2023, 10:40:01 PM »
Please note that the Canadian one with the closed canopy has been revised. The canopy now reaches down further and the slide rail is lower on the fuselage. Also, the fold-down doors on non-Canadian Tiger Moths wer eleft painted on CF-TBS and CF-CKF and these are now corrected. It's the problem with painting so many liveries in a quite short time!
AI Traffic / Tiger Moths
« Last post by mage on February 01, 2023, 10:31:30 PM »
« Last post by mage on February 01, 2023, 10:21:32 PM »
I had no idea Australia was top dog! Wow, 193! I hope they're all the same! :D

I've painted 110 aircraft so far, most of them UK. The UK CAA lists aircraft as being active, but which are in pieces in a shed somewhere, or on a lengthy rebuild after a crash, so they are not all in the air, and many won't fly for a few years. I've painted 2 German aircraft but there are others in Germany. D-EORX wears the UK registration largest, has an American registration under the tailplane, and D-EORX on the tail. Likewise, NX333XB has G-ASXB on the side and is based in the Seattle area. Meanwhile an American-reg Tiger Moth is operating in England, while 2 English TMs are in Hungary, and another, G-AJHS (painted by me) is in Holland, at Seppe.

The bad news is that the paints I have made, and the p/k, were created in Corel Paintshop Pro X8. Although I can save it as a PS file, all vector layers become raster, which makes the p/k a lot less user-friendly.

Tracking will be extremely difficult. Many Tigers don't have electrics at all. Tigers tend to have a little generator mounted among the wheel struts, or just aft of there, if they have something even as simple as a radio. I flew one years ago, G-ANTE, and that had a generator under the fuselage to power a simple radio mounted on a side panel using a simple metal bracket. I can't imagine many Tigers having anything more advanced and power hungry such as an ADS-B transmitter.

I've painted one from Oz, 2 from Canada (there is a version with a basic Canadian canopy and the re-angled gear on the DH82C), one from Ireland (AHI), one from NZ (BAH), one from Sweden (the bright one), and 2 of the 3 Swiss. I have working bases for all the British Tigers and have made myself some 52-week plans for them, but they use very minor airfields (about 1/3 are on private strips that FS9 doesn't know about), so apart from the aircraft there is also a need to consider either making new strips, or finding the nearest "normal" airport for it to fly from. My planner can keep the aircraft on very small airfields, althogh I have allowed the plans to visit a mid-tier airport very occasionally (for example Bristol in the UK, but not Birmingham).

It's actually quite a difficult thing to plan.
« Last post by charlymorton on February 01, 2023, 08:14:05 PM »
Very nice. This is the current Tiger Moth counts in the countries I am covering so far. Tracking is an issue though from a flight plan perspective. Only found tracking for one Australian so far.

CountryCount
Australia193
Belgium3
Brazil1
Canada58
France7
Ireland2
New Zealand10
Norway6
Sweden5
Switzerland3
United Kingdom85
« Last post by Jorgen on February 01, 2023, 09:32:07 AM »
Then we will need Charly to look into UK private Tiger Moths...

Jorgen
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10